Amber Ticker





Wednesday, April 14, 2010

HAPPY'S PROFILE:

Happy the Wonder Dog!

Happy left this life in 1990. His picture is on the wall with my other children.
I carry his Dog Tags with me at all times so I will never forget.

I met him as a pup at the orphanage and adopted him.

Catching things thrown at him. He liked to get out of the house once in a while and hunt. He would bring home some of what he found (usually bones) and give it to me. He liked to play tug of war.

A National Forest started at my back yard and Happy would go out at night and protect my daughter's (Jenny) rabbits from the coyotes. He would lie perfectly still until they were near and then pop up and give chase. He did not hurt them. It was just a form of a game.

Happy liked to catch rope that was thrown at him and wait for directions on what to do with it. This was part of rescue training. He really loved to help people.

Bad people, burglars, dopers and prowlers. He pinned two across the street when I lived in Fresno. I have no idea how he got free; yet, when my neighbor Sandy, a elementary school teacher, got home she found much of her valuables were missing. Not thinking she went through the house and in the back yard her things were neatly lain on the lawn and Happy had two men pinned against her garage. The men called for help as they had been there for four hours. She called the police and then called me. The police got there first and Happy would not let them approach. One officer mentioned shooting Happy to get to the men and Sandy went ballistic. I got there a few
minutes later and rather shocked asked what they wanted me to do. I did not want him hurt. I told him "home" and he trotted off with high steps and head up. "Show off" I called to him.
Uniforms. I caught a meter reader, who was next door, spraying him in the face with mace because he was barking at her. He had several other abusive encounters with officials before his first birthday. I decided not to train this behavior out of him as I was concerned what would happen to him if he left himself vulnerable.

Sneaking a nap on my couch. Sitting in front of my house waiting for an Avocado to fall of my tree, roll off my roof and he would catch it and bring it to me. I don't know why???? He liked it.

Trying to copy his older brother (not litter brother) an Australian Shepherd named Bowser. I would toss food to them as rewards. Bowser loved grapes. He would catch a grape, flip it with his tongue and bit down. Happy would try to do the same but could not ever bite one. he would chew and chew and chew and the grape would sooner or later fall out of his mouth. I had to squish them so he could eat. I am not sure if he actually liked them. He was an alpha and did not like to finish second to his witty brother.

1 1/2 " rope which hung from a pine tree. He would play tug of war with the tree

A space heater in my daughters room caught fire at the wall and Happy tried pulling me out of bed with great urgency. I shook my wife and went with Happy to open the door and the whole wall was on fire. He woke my son up and we all got outside safe and then he went to where they were sitting. He licked and wined and babied them. He knew to reassure the children and my kids always felt safe with Happy near them


We loved doing things together although we once had a fight for dominance while rough housing. He bit the top of my head hard and I clocked him. I knocked him out.  I ran and got an ammonia ampoule and put the smelling salts under his nose.  He suddenly woke up and started barking and I swear he barked at everything for 5-10 minutes then he took a hunk of bacon from me  and settled at my feet apparently satisfied to be a member of my pack.


Saturday Baseball and Snacking With a Brew.
We were watching our usual Saturday baseball game on TV and Happy grabbed a Peanut out of a bowl and crunched the shell, let the nuts fall out and ate them and to my surprise he picked up the shells and put them in my shell bowl. From then on he and I watched a game on Saturday and drank a couple of beers, I would pour him a bowl, and we ate salted peanuts.
I was careful as two beers were his limit and we only did this on Saturday.

All animals are unique. Happy was my best friend, he never hurt me in anyway and was always loyal. I miss him so much I still cry. I after 20 years still carry his dog tags with me at all times and someday soon I will see him again.

I know this to be true.  It is in my heart.

No comments: